What is Pilates?
Pilates, pronounced Pi-laa-teez, is an innovative system of mind-body exercise first developed by Joseph Pilates (1883-1967). Joseph Pilates developed a series of 34 core/total body exercises to do on the mat – his original work he described as “Contrology”.
They are now almost as many variations to the Pilates method as there are people who practice it. More traditional methods follow closely set exercise sequences and set number of repetitions, with only small adaptations and modifications for different body types or problems.
Modern Pilates (CenterFit) on the other hand, uses Joseph Pilates’ philosophy and modified principles with a more gradual introduction of the exercises and includes adaptations and developments that connect with our improved knowledge of how the body works, while incorporating modern fitness/movement challenges. The exercises are always tailored to the clients’ need, body types, weaknesses and strengths.
Benefits of a Pilates Based Practice
Develop a Strong and Stable Core
The exercises develop a strong and stable “core”. Did you know the core is made up of more than just the “abdominals”? Modern Pilates based programs focus on integrating the outer unit (more superficial muscles around your spine) and also the inner unit (the deeper core muscles around your spine).
Optimal Movement Education
The movements/exercises train several muscle groups at once through smooth, continuous movements. By developing proper technique, you can actually re-train your body to move in safer, more efficient patterns of motion – invaluable for injury recovery, sports performance, good posture and optimal health.
An Extremely Flexible Balanced Exercise system
My Pilates based classes not only focus on developing a strong and stable core but also focus on increasing our flexibility, improving our balance, working on the primal movement patterns of humans – so that we can move well outside the class – not just while you’re on the mat.
Modifications to the exercises allow for a range of difficulty from beginner to more advanced. The beauty of my Pilates based programs -is that you can get the workout that best suits you now, and increase the intensity as your body conditioning improves.
Why with Wendy ?
My classes and one-on-one sessions are for you if…
– You appreciate a Modern Pilates approach with adapted exercises and variations for all body types
– You want an integrated exercise program rooted in research and sound movement principles
– You seek a Pilates teacher that’s trained in the Pilates method along with an education in kinesiology and other fitness/movement systems like yoga to bring you the best in class experience
– You want a teacher with 18 years of experience in Pilates and Yoga
– You like a class that creatively changes class to class
– You appreciate handouts –so that you can better learn the exercises and practice at home